Results for the financial year ended 31 December 2016
01 March 2017
- Fund under Management (FUM) up 3% to $80.9 billion (31 December 2015: $78.7 billion)
- Net inflows of $1.9 billion (2015: net inflows $0.3 billion)
- Quant alternative FUM increased by 20% due to strong net inflows
- Positive investment movement of $3.2 billion (2015: $2.4 billion)
- FX translation effects and other movements of -$2.9 billion (2015: -$3.0 billion)
- Statutory loss before tax for the year ended 31 December 2016 of $272 million (2015: profit before tax of $184 million), driven by the impairment of GLG and FRM goodwill and intangibles of $281 million and $98 million respectively
- Adjusted profit before tax (PBT) of $205 million in 2016 (2015: $400 million), comprising adjusted net management fee PBT of $178 million (2015: $194 million) and adjusted net performance fee PBT of $27 million (2015: $206 million)
- Recommended final dividend of 4.5 cents per share bringing total dividend for the year to 9.0 cents (2015: 10.2 cents). The final dividend is equal to 3.62 pence per share (2015: 3.40 pence), and the total dividend for the year is equal to 7.05 pence per share (2015: 6.87 pence)
- Surplus regulatory capital of $392 million at 31 December 2016 (2015: $453m); $325 million after the impact of the Aalto acquisition which completed on 1 January 2017
Luke Ellis, Chief Executive Officer of Man Group, said:
“2016 was a challenging year for the investment management industry and despite respectable relative performance from our strategies, this is reflected in our results.
Against this backdrop, we have made real progress in positioning the firm for the future. We delivered positive net flows, in a year when our industry saw outflows. We had positive alpha across our long only strategies, during a year in which many questioned the benefits of active management. We put in place a revised management structure and continued to control our cost base, and the majority of our performance fee eligible funds ended the year at, or close to, high water mark.
Looking forward to 2017, we have started the year with a good pipeline of interest from clients and encouraging performance across most of our strategies as the new global political environment has created many alpha opportunities, but it remains early days in an uncertain market.
Our focus for 2017 is to build on the hard work of last year and on what makes this business special: the commitment and creativity that drives performance, building deep and meaningful client relationships, investing in our talent and technology, and being disciplined on costs and capital allocation. Although our industry faces some challenges, I believe we are well positioned for the years ahead.”
- Prosek Partners – US
- Tel: +1 212 279 3115
Contacts mentioned herein retain the right to record any telephone calls made to them for training and monitoring purposes.