Man Group announces Anne Wade to take over as Chair in late 2023
28 February 2023
Man Group plc (the “Company”) announces that:
- John Cryan, who has served as a director of the Company since January 2015 and as Chair of the Board since January 2020, has decided to retire from the Board towards the end of 2023;
- Anne Wade, who has served on the Board as a non-executive director since April 2020, will succeed John Cryan as Chair of the Board upon John’s departure in late 2023. At that time, Anne will step down from her position as Chair of the Remuneration Committee but will remain a member, and will also assume the role of Chair of the Nomination Committee. The Company intends to announce the appointment of a new Remuneration Committee Chair in due course, who will take over from Anne on her appointment as Chair of the Board; and
- Dame Katharine Barker, who has served on the Board since April 2017, will step down as a non-executive director of the Company and as a member of the Audit and Risk Committee and the Remuneration Committee on 1 April 2023.
The Nomination Committee of the Board (the “Committee”) was cognisant of the fact that, in line with the UK Corporate Governance Code, John Cryan would be expected to step down from the Board by 15 January 2024, nine years after his appointment as a director of the Company. As a consequence, the Committee has been investing time identifying and considering potential successors for the Board Chair role. This included, with the assistance of an external executive search firm, a thorough preparatory external benchmarking exercise. Following recent discussions, John Cryan has now informed the Board that he intends to retire before the end of this calendar year and the Committee has recommended, and the Board has now approved, the appointment of Anne Wade as the new Chair of the Board, to take effect upon John’s retirement.
Richard Berliand, Senior Independent Director, who was responsible for leading the Chair succession process said:
"Anne’s extensive financial services, asset management and plc Board experience made her an excellent candidate to chair Man Group’s Board. Since joining the Board in 2020, she has built strong relationships within the business, as well as with our key stakeholders, and we are looking forward to the Company’s next chapter with Anne as Chair."
John Cryan said:
"It has been a privilege and a pleasure to serve on the Man Group Board and I would like to thank my fellow Board members and the executive management team for their support throughout my tenure. I am delighted that Anne will be succeeding me as Chair and I feel confident that the Company will continue to progress from strength to strength for many, many years to come.
“I would also like to thank Kate for her excellent contributions to the Board over the past six years. We have benefited significantly from her extensive knowledge of monetary policy and public finances. We are very grateful for her insights and, on behalf of the Board, I wish her all the best.”
Luke Ellis, CEO, commented:
"It has been a pleasure to work with John over the years. He has a real breadth of corporate experience and his perspectives have been incredibly valuable to me and to the Company. On behalf of everyone at Man Group, I wish him well for the future.
“The strategy for the Company remains unchanged as we continue to strengthen our business for the benefit of our clients, shareholders and stakeholders. We are delighted that Anne will be taking on the role of Chair. She has already been a great contributor on the Board and we look forward to continuing to draw on her extensive experience in the years to come."
Anne Wade commented:
"I am delighted to be taking on the role of Chair, working closely with the Board and the executive team to guide Man Group through the next phase of its journey. My time on the Board has already shown me that the Company has a great culture and an abundance of talent. It is well positioned to capitalise on its investment expertise and first-class technology capabilities to deliver outperformance for our clients and excellent value to our shareholders."
Anne is currently a non-executive director of Summit Materials Inc. and a Partner at Leaders’ Quest. She was previously a non-executive director at John Laing plc and Holcim Limited and spent 17 years at Capital International where she held various senior roles within research and equity investment, with a focus on the infrastructure sector.
- Georgiana Brunner
- Head of Communications
- Tel: +44 (0) 20 7144 1000
- Neil Doyle
- FTI Consulting
- Tel: +44 (0) 7771 978 220
Tweets by @ManGroup
Contacts mentioned herein retain the right to record any telephone calls made to them for training and monitoring purposes.
You are now exiting our website