Half year results for the six months ended 30 June 2023
1 August 2023
Net inflows reflect continued demand for our range of investment strategies and solutions
- Record assets under management (AUM) of $151.7 billion (31 December 2022: $143.3 billion)
- Net inflows of $2.6 billion for the six months ended 30 June 2023, 2.5% ahead of the industry[KPI]
- Positive investment performance of $5.1 billion, 0.6% ahead of peers[KPI]
Resilient core management fee EPS (diluted) of 8.7¢ demonstrates the benefit of our diversified model
- Run-rate net management fee revenue of $946 million as at 30 June 2023 (31 December 2022: $917 million)
- $32 million of core performance fees reflect a difficult first quarter for trend-following absolute return strategies
- Core EPS (diluted) of 8.9¢[KPI] (H1 2022: 24.0¢) and statutory EPS (diluted) of 6.8¢ (H1 2022: 22.7¢)
Strategic acquisition to support our long-term growth prospects and consistent shareholder returns
- Announced the acquisition of Varagon Capital Partners, a leading US middle-market private credit manager
- Completed the $125 million share buyback announced in March 2023
- Recommended interim dividend of 5.6¢, in line with guidance (H1 2022: 5.6¢ per share)
Robyn Grew to take over from Luke Ellis as Chief Executive Officer on 1 September 2023
Luke Ellis, Chief Executive Officer of Man Group, said:
“The first half of 2023 was a period of sustained organic growth for Man Group and I’m delighted to report record assets under management of $151.7 billion, and net inflows of $2.6 billion. These flows were 2.5% ahead of the industry, highlighting the broad-based demand we are seeing for the range of differentiated investment strategies and solutions that we offer, as well as the quality of our longstanding relationships with allocators around the world.
“It has been a great privilege leading Man Group during a period of major evolution and progression; through our unwavering focus on investment performance and client service, alongside investing strategically in our technology, the business has grown and diversified significantly since my appointment. I have no doubt that the firm will continue to go from strength to strength under Robyn’s leadership, building on our position at the forefront of the industry."
Robyn Grew, Incoming Chief Executive Officer of Man Group, said:
“I want to say again how honoured I feel to be the next CEO of Man Group. I have huge confidence in the talented group of people here and our ability to continue to deliver for clients and shareholders. We have built a tremendous business with a fantastically collegiate culture over the past few years, one that is truly a global leader in active investment management.
“Diversifying our client offering has been a priority for the firm and last month we were pleased to announce the acquisition of Varagon Capital Partners. As the private credit market continues to grow in relevance for the world’s largest institutions, this transaction adds a US-focused direct lending strategy designed to provide consistent risk-adjusted outperformance at scale and in a highly customisable format. Varagon has a strong track record of underwriting discipline, risk management and generating differentiated returns for investors; this gives us confidence in our ability to support their continued growth as a part of Man Group.”
‘Core’ measures are alternative performance measures. For a detailed description of our alternative performance measures, including non-core items, please refer to pages 27-32.
[KPI] For details of key performance indicators refer to the 2022 Annual Report.
Contacts mentioned herein retain the right to record any telephone calls made to them for training and monitoring purposes.